Today, gun violence is an epidemic in American society and has invaded every aspect of our lives. Children are not safe in schools, places of worship are targeted, and minorities are attacked by white supremacists. Republicans refuse to take action on gun control in exchange for NRA donations while Americans die every day. Friends of Intelligent Democracy supports:
- ● Requiring universal background checks for all gun sales.
- ● Enacting “red flag” laws.
- ● Preventing domestic abusers from purchasing firearms.
- ● Making the Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019 law.
- ● Instituting “No Fly, No Buy” policies that prevent suspected terrorists from purchasing firearms.
- ● Giving the FBI a broader scope of investigative powers to investigate suspicious individuals to help prevent mass shootings.
- ● Reinstating the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.
- ● Starting an optional assault weapons buyback program run by the Department of Homeland Security and Department of Justice.
- ● Allowing the CDC to research gun violence and its causes.
- ● Funding “Street Outreach” and other community outreach programs that partner with community leaders to educate young people on how gun violence and gang violence harm their community.
Criminal Justice Reform