Previous administrations have not always had the public good in mind when going to war and putting Americans in harm’s way. The path to a peaceful global community is paved with diplomacy, not endless wars.
Supporting Cyber Command
With cyber-attacks, we are now in a digital Cold War. Our next attack from another country won’t be on the battlefield, but between computers. Cyber-attacks have the capability to breach our power grids, disrupt emergency services, and steal sensitive information from the military and the American public. Friends of Intelligent Democracy supports:
- ● Increasing funding of U.S. Cyber Command to defend the United States of America.
- ● Broadening Cyber Command’s scope to defend American elections, the power grid and American interests abroad.
Department of Defense and Climate Change
If the Department of Defense was its own country, it would be the 5th highest carbon dioxide emitter on Earth. If residents and corporations are expected to find solutions to climate change, our government should be held to the same responsibility. Friends of Intelligent Democracy supports:
- ● Allowing the Department of Defense to recognize climate change as a national security threat as previously outlined in Pentagon threat assessments.
- ● Identifying opportunities where the DoD can reduce carbon dioxide emissions without negatively affecting military readiness.
Around the world, there are hundreds of millions suffering every day at the hands of their own governments. As global stewards of democracy and freedom, the United States of America cannot sit by idly as innocents are victimized by their own people. Friends of Intelligent Democracy supports:
- ● Working with the United Nations and other countries to address humanitarian crises in North Korea, Iran, Venezuela.
- ● Recognizing the Rohhingya genocide in Myanmar.
- ● Ending American involvement in the war in Yemen.
- ● Facilitating peace talks between Pakistan, India and Kashmir.
- ● Strengthening election security in new democracies to prevent autocracy and corrupted voting results.
Since the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the use of nuclear weapons has become a global concern. With modern nuclear weapons, their use would be truly world-ending and humanity would benefit from a world with much fewer nuclear warheads. Friends of Intelligent Democracy supports:
- ● Negotiating denuclearization with Iran and North Korea.
- ● Working towards nuclear disarmament around the world starting with volatile countries such as India and Pakistan.
The continent of Africa has been exploited and left out for centuries. As a result of centuries of enslavement and oppressive colonialism, African countries have been barred from the same development and success as other regions of the world. Our global community does best when everyone has access to essentials, domestic and international economic development, and healthy living. Friends of Intelligent Democracy supports:
- ● Increasing foreign development in African countries.
- ● Working with Saharan countries to build solar farms to provide renewable energy to nearby residents.
- ● Increasing funding for government and nonprofit programs to ensure access to clean water through USAID and groups like the Water Project.
- ● Working with governments and nonprofits to end the practice of female genital mutilation.
- ● Working with governments and nonprofits to end poaching and the continued extinction of endangered animals.
Israel and Palestine
For decades, the disagreements between Israel and Palestine have fueled conflict in the region. As we move further into the 21st century, peace and compromise must be made between the Israelis and Palestinians that respects both communities and international law. Friends of Intelligent Democracy supports:
- ● A two-state solution between Israel and Palestine.
- ● Ending Israeli occupation and expansion into Palestinian territories.
- ● Encouraging negotiations between Israel and Palestine.
- ● Classifying Jerusalem as a neutral zone that is self-governing as a result of the extreme significance to multiple religions.
- ● Increasing support to NGOs that provide Palestinians with access to clean water, food, education and medical care.
- ● Opposing BDS and efforts to delegitimize Israel.
Affordable Public Education